16 oz frozen tater tots
1 lb ground beef
1 small onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
¾ cup beef broth
1 teaspoon each: salt, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika and chili powder
½ teaspoon each: cumin and black pepper
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
8 oz sharp cheddar, shredded
1 ½ – 2 cups milk
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon each black pepper, chili powder, smoked paprika
– Cook the frozen tater tots per package directions, mine took about 22 minutes.
– In the meantime, brown your ground beef in a hot skillet, breaking it apart as you go. Once it is no longer pink, add the diced onion and minced garlic. Give it a stir and cook for about 4 minutes.
– Next, add the tomato paste and seasonings, mix well to make sure the meat is well coated. After about a minute, add the broth, stir and let this cook on low heat for about 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat and check for seasonings. Set aside.
– To make the cheese sauce, into a pot or skillet melt 1 tablespoon of butter and sprinkle 1 tablespoon of flour. Whisk to combine and cook for about a minute. Slowly add about a cup of milk and whisk. Once the mixture has thickened, add about 2 cups of shredded cheese. Whisk gently until the cheese melted, add more milk if it’s too thick (about 2-3 tablespoons at a time), then add the seasonings.
– To assemble, add some tater tots to a skillet or plates, then the meat mixture and some of the cheese sauce and repeat. Add toppings of choice, my kids prefer theirs plain with the topping on the side.