1 lb. elbow macaroni or small pasta of choice
3 tablespoons butter
2 heaping tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
1 cup half & half (or heavy cream)
8 oz. medium cheddar, shredded
8 oz. Colby Jack, shredded
1 cup grated parmesan
1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- Cook the pasta per package directions and set aside.
- In the meantime, melt the butter and whisk in the flour. Continue to whisk for a minute.
- Slowly pour in the milk and half & half while whisking. Be sure to pour only 1/2 cup at a time while whisking continuously to avoid clumps.
- Add the cheese 1 cup at a time. Whisk to allow cheese to melt evenly before adding in more cheese. Add the remaining ingredients and be sure to check for seasoning.
- Slowly add the macaroni and gently fold to combine. Enjoy.
- If you are making this for kids, be sure to use the kind of cheese they enjoy eating on its own.
- Nutritional yeast has a similar taste to parmesan, but it is a great source of vitamins and minerals like B1, B2, B6, potassium and zinc. It won’t alter the taste of the mac and cheese, you can also just add more parmesan if you prefer.
- Make sure you taste for seasoning and adjust to your liking.